Howdy Gamers Out There !!!
If you are a gamer , then you might not be untouched by the praiseworthy features of the Discord application. And if you are really suffering from your old microphones or a hell lot of background noise while having a conversation with your peer gamers , then this post is for you . In this post, you will get to learn the ‘ Discord Push To Talk ‘ feature in detail . So let’s start straight away.
Discord application was launched a few years back. And undoubtedly it is growing at a rapid rate . It is now a very widely popular VOIP service for gamers , who are also very fond of having conversations with other gamers in call (or by text /screen sharing) .
So consider the situation when you are using the internal microphone with your Discord application for group voice calls. Then it may happen that your friends get really irritated by the background noise from your (or someone else ) microphone.
So if you don’t want to literally ruin your group voice chat experience while playing the intense multiplayer games , you may have to switch on the Discord push to talk feature asap . So if it due to someone else in the group, then you may have to convince your gaming buddy to use the push to talk functionality .
So in this tutorial, we will look into the steps involved in activating and successfully setting up this push to talk feature in your discord tool .
Steps For Activating The Discord Push To Talk Feature
Before proceeding ahead, we should understand one important thing regarding this feature .
Note: The Discord push to talk option is present only for desktop version i.e for MAC, Windows, and Linux operating platform .
This is basically a two-step process. First is the activation and then the steps to configure it . So let’s see the full steps for the first part now :
1. First of all, you need to log in to your Discord application.
2. Now after successfully logging into the Discord application , go right away to the bottom of your home screen and click on the ‘ gear icon ‘ (settings menu) .
3. Now in the settings section, search for the option ‘ Voice and Video ‘ . Then click on the ‘Push to Talk’ option. Now the first step i.e the activation of the Discord Push to talk feature is complete.
Now we have to move further to the next step in order to configure the push to talk functionality now .
Steps To Configure The Push To Talk Module
Now since we already activated the push to talk feature in our Discord application , it’s now time to finally configure the desired push to talk module in this . Basically we need to set the key in order to use this. Lets see the steps now :
1. Again navigate to the settings section in your Discord application. Then click on the option ‘ Keybinds ‘ in the options list . You can set multiple shortcut keys , which is mainly useful when you are playing multiple games with different controls .
2. So now you need to click on the option ‘ Add a Keybind ‘ . With this, you can set multiple shortcut keys for the push to talk functionality . (In the web version you may have to click on the ‘Edit Keybind ‘ option in the push to talk option present in the settings section )
3. Now it will display a row containing certain options you need to select . Now in the Actions column , choose the’ push to talk ‘ option , then click on the ‘ Record Keybind’ option and also press the key that you want to use while using the push to talk feature in Discord application . Then finally click on the option ‘ Stop Recording’ in order to save your selection .
4. Now here comes the final step , you have to go back to the option ‘Voice’ section in your Discord settings , then look for the slider under the ‘ Push to talk release delay ‘ heading .
This will set the time in which the Discord tool will cut off the noise once you release the push to talk key . By default, it is set for 20 ms . (you may set it in the range between 0 to 2000 ms) .
The Discord Push To Talk Functionality – Final Thoughts !!
The push to talk module is indeed very useful functionality that can be integrated with the Discord application . Ideally, if you are fed up with the irritating background noise while having group voice conversations , then you may switch to this useful tool .
By integrating this feature you can easily eradicate the menace of the discarded noise in the call (and also if you (or your friend) are using an old microphone that absorbs a lot of noise) .
Last but not the least , you should choose the keybind shortcut close to the most used keys while playing, such that it will be convenient to switch on the push to talk feature seamlessly .
Also if you are a busy gamer then you should certainly give proper heed towards this useful feature at the earliest (also if you don’t have good noise-canceling headphones) . So don’t think much just go ahead and use this feature straight away . Let me know about your experiences using this feature in the comments section .
Aric is a tech enthusiast , who love to write about the tech related products and ‘How To’ blogs . IT Engineer by profession , right now working in the Automation field in a Software product company . The other hobbies includes singing , trekking and writing blogs .